Checkboxes for True/False Enhancement Request

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

First, great extension tool to spAutoInstaller.  I've been hand coding these for a while now through several installs and this tool makes it much easier to visualize what's going on and get it right the first time.

Future enhancement request: Change the True and False Text boxes for provisioning the service apps into checkboxes and have that enable and disable the associated service app entries.  That would make it much easier to browse the app and tell what it to be built and what isn't. (Same for all the other "install" true/false settings)

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Unfortunately this would not work as the provision\install field accepts multiple options:

true/false (deploy to all servers or don't deploy at all)

localhost (replaced with the current server name, deploys to all servers)

Server1, Server2 (only deploy to server1 and server 2)

Server1 Server2 (only deploy to server1 and server 2)

As you can see, for more complicated installs it is crucial that users are able to specify which servers to deploy the component to.

Thanks,

Ivan

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Edited Nov 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM

What he means is to have a on/off switch for the Service Applications as follows.

If unticked - set provision field to false and gray all fields.

If ticked - Enable all fields and set provision field to true by default on enable to be then further customized if needed to localhost or Server1 Server 2. Its easier to know this service is not in, if all fields are grayed out.

I'd go even further and use the wide empty space in the "Install" Tab, to present on the right the list of services and have checkboxes in front of them. This acts as the enable/disable would in the service tab itself described above but it will set provision to false and completley remove the tab itself from within the "Service Application" tab section.

This would be great because you can choose your services from the start and not have to get confused with the service tabs still appearing causing confusion if the service is trully disabled or not. Because why would you still need to configure a disabled service, why are the fields editable.

You can create a criteria for them and even provide feedback.

(EX: you enable Web Analytics an immediate message gets displayed on the bottom of the window saying you need to also enable State Service for Web Analytics to Work, but still alow it to go trough without the state service for customizability)

Good luck!

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Hi guys,

I have all of the options gray out if the Provision Text Box is set to false in the latest release. (I will post it as soon as TFS is back online)

x3style, I like the idea of using the Install Tab as a quick way to enable/disable services. I'll put this on the To-Do list.

Thanks for the feedback guys.