This project is read-only.

A few basic questions for using the AutoSPInstallerGUI.exe tool

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I'm a little confused about how to correctly use the AutoSPInstallerGUI.exe tool.

1.) When you launch AutoSPInstallerGUI.exe you need to load an .xml file, so I'm guessing you need to load the included AutoSPInstallerInput.xml file? Is that right?

2.) I've seen two different tutorials and one suggests immediately renaming this file by appending the name of your server that SP will be installed on and another tutorial that suggests just leaving the default name in place. Does or should it be renamed before making your modifications?

3.) Within the "Unattended Install" section of the "Install" tab, I see the "Config File" section is populated with the value "config-AutoSPInstaller.xml". Do I need to change this value? What should it be?

4.) I see tutorials that suggest including your appropriate PID key in your config.xml files and yet I see a PID Key block within that same "Unattended Install" section of the "Install" tab. Do I need to modify a config.xml file(s) or simply insert my proper key in this section? If I do need to modify my config xml file(s) - which ones?

Thank you!
Craig
Dec 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Hey,

AutoSPInstaller has changed significantly over the years, many of the tutorial are out of date.

1: Correct

2: Naming the XML file with the server name is a older method of using AutoSPInstaller. You don't have to do this.
The only reason we suggest renaming the file is to keep the original XML as reference. You don't have to do this.

3: You dont have to change this. This is the name of the config xml file which will be used to install the SharePoint binaries. It will be created in the Temp directory by AutoSPInstaller

4: Simply insert your key in the Install tab. AutoSPInstaller will create the SharePoint config.xml with the parameters provided.

Let me know if this doesnt make sense.

Thanks,
Ivan
Dec 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Thanks Ivan!

:-)

In a nutshell, load the default AutoSPInstallerInput.xml file, insert my PID key, make all of the other changes I'd like and simply "Save XML" (don't choose the "Save As XML" option)?

Is that right?

Oh yeah, just out of curiosity, when you save your changes, where does the config.xml file(s) get created?

Craig
Dec 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Pressing Save XML will overwrite the current file that you loaded.

All the other xml files are created by the script at run time.
Marked as answer by IvanJosipovic on 1/3/2014 at 1:42 PM