SQL Alias

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I have noticed that there is a configuration setting for the SQL Alias within each section of the Service Applications tab. Can we use the same SQL Alias for each Service Application?

thank you for creating a great app,

Jason

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Well, this setting is used to specifiy on which server the database for the given services resides You don't need to host all databases on the same server. Thus you could use different SQL Aliases for each service application.

Although I prefer to have all my databases for SharePoint in one place, hence I'm just using one SQL Alias for all database settings throughout SharePoint.

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I see it now, it is a nice feature

Thanks,

Jason

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I should clarify this.

The only place you must to fill in the database server is in the Farm Tab. If you leave the rest empty they will use the Farm setting. This gives you the option to specify the SQL server/alias at different levels if you choose to do so.

I will update the documentation in the next version.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Edited Nov 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM

You might want to handle this one better and add a ticker box that unless ticked it will display what is written as a farm DB. How you check and store the field status.. well you can leave it unticked if that field in the XML is blank and if it is blank you gray out the field and make it show the farm DB entered in the farm area otherwise it will be ticked and the field becomes editable and show whatever is written in the field of the XML file. :)