Extend the application ?

May 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Hi,

I want to extend the application to add more controls, in the interface and in the XML too. Is there a way to do that without breaking all the compatibility each time ?

To be more explicit ...
Previously, i already did an interface for Autospinstaller, with an Infopath form. I added some script to Autospinstaller to generate all the machine, with some new information added to the XML, such as computer name, AD information, etc...
That work great, but i stop maintain it and it never goes to SP2013. For the new version, i want to use existing stuff.
Your project is great, but i'm not sure i can add some new XML data. Screen, controls and code behind is on the same place, not really easy to understand for extension.

Do you think what i want to do is possible, by adding some partial class to the existing one, in separate files to limit incompatibility issues ?
May 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Hey,

You can definitely extend the application in that way, however, maintaining the comparability is difficult.
Depending on how much the XML Schema changes the code/xml will have to be adapted to make it fit every time.

Currently, the Configuration Class is a partial class so you can extend it as I have in ConfigurationExtensions.cs.

That covers the code, however the Form XML will be difficult, as there is no way that I am aware to extend that.
However, this is my first WPF implementation so I may be wrong.

I would recommend creating another Configuration Extension Class with your changes, then for the Form Controls, create another Tab with your modifications. This way you will only have to paste a new section of XML and add 1 class in every time I make an update.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Thanks,
Ivan
May 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM
That make sense, I was thinking about something like this too, but as i don't really know WPF too, i search another opinion.

I will try to develop it.

Thanks,
Jonathan